Clearing My Gaming Backlog Lets Do This
I buy far too many games. It’s pretty obvious what the problem is. I don’t play them enough, then I get bored and buy more. It’s quite silly really. I’m not the only person either!
Anyway, it’s time to get this backlog under control! I’m going to take part in Four in February again like I did this year. And I’m going to aim to play through 1-2 games each month depending my available free time each month. I’m not sure if I even want to take my PS3 with me back to uni given how many Steam/3DS games I have to complete without extra PS Plus games being added monthly. According to some tool I found online, it’d take me around 2000 hours to complete all of my steam games. Almost four years at ten hours a week…
I’m going to set a few rules for my personal challenge mainly to stop myself from having to play through games I detest and can’t stand. Here they are:
- If I don’t want to complete a game, I must play it through at least 3-6 hours from the start.
…This allows me to get thoroughly into most games, by playing in generally 2x3 hour sessions. If I don’t like it here, I’ll mark it as null on Backloggery with the reason why in the comments.
- For a game to be marked as completed on Backloggery I must at least complete the main storyline of a game (and each of the main DLC story-lines if I own them), and see the credits roll in some form. This marks the completion for my purposes. 100% is not a thing I believe in.
- I cannot buy any new games until at least 5 games have been completed, or attempted and removed from Backloggery. This rule is active as of July 1st, and as such I need to complete 3 more games before I can purchase Pokemon X or Y.
- Each month, I will post a blog post talking about my gaming experiences that month. The games I nulled, the reasons why and the games that I have completed. Basically a mini round-up of my gaming month.
Currently I am working through Dragon Quest 4 on the DS, and my next plan of attack is to play through some of these:
- Freshly-Picked Tingle’s Rosy Rupeeland
- Big Bang Mini (although I suck at these type of games…)
- Legend of Zelda (Gotta play those ambassador games at some point….)
- The Dragon Quest games are pretty long, along with the Tingle game but I think I could complete these before October hits with a bit of luck. My choices are likely to change, by the way. Other games I want to try and tackle in the near future (basically, next year):
- Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (It’s like 80 hours long, argh. I do love it though)
- The various Zelda games my 3DS seems to have acquired
- The remainder of the DQ games I own (5, 6, 9)
- The Elder Scrolls Games
- Half Life Series (Don’t judge me)
- Gratuitous Space Battles /Gratuitous Tank Battles / Faster than Light
Wish me luck!